Saturday, September 26, 2009

September 26, 2009 - Nathan's version of Surf and Turf


First the surf: The grocery store had these petite Canadian lobster tails so I bought first and decided what to make later. Had heard many times how good the Keller-style butter poached lobster is so wanted to try something like that. Went off of an online version of a recipe from the French Laundry cookbook.

I had lobster stock in the freezer so thawed and reduced 3 cups of that to 1, then added cream and simmered down a bit more. Essentially making lobster bisque. Cooked the orzo until done and then added to cream with chives and mascarpone cheese.

Lobster was poached in a beurre monte which you make by whisking cold butter into just a bit of boiling water to create an emulsion. Time for cooking the raw lobster tails is 8 minutes and they were perfect. Not to blow my own horn but this was the best lobster I have ever had. It is obviously some of the recipe but I think the petite tails are just very tender as well.

Wine was a Pouilly-Fuisse. On to the turf:

Grass-fed tenderloin rubbed with salt and pepper and left to stand for an hour. This was seared in cast iron and then finished in the oven. I thawed some demi-glace I had in the freezer and as the steak rested de-glazed the pan with red wine and port then added some demi-glace and reduced for the brown sauce. This was accompanied by sauteed brussel sprouts and parsnip puree.

Wine was a Spanish Old Vine Garnacha which went extremely well. Was very complementary without being overpowering or under-represented.






1 comment:

  1. I was there for this dinner,it was fantastic!Shelley

    ReplyDelete