Thought about doing this blog for a while but am just getting around to it. Guess I thought tonight's dinner was worthy enough to start documenting now! Haven't quite decided on format and content quite yet. May elaborate on where I got ideas from and influences in deciding what dishes I cooked.
Here is tonight's meal:
Trio of Salmon: Salmon and Summer Melon Ceviche with Thai Red Curry Paste and Coconut Milk, Tequila spiked, Alder Smoked Salmon on Shaved Fennel with Fennel/Chive cream cheese, Pan seared Salmon on Pesto-whipped Potatoes, Heirloom Tomato side salad
Wine: Coppola Diamond Label Chardonnay
Details:
Ceviche: I had a summer melon leftover in the fridge and had a side of Wild Coho Salmon. Had an idea for some kind of ribbons of melon salad so started looking around and saw a recipe for ceviche. I did a Fijian style ceviche back in Calgary with coconut milk so had the idea to use coconut milk and thai red chili to add to the flavor. This turned out to be one of the best ceviches I have had. Marinated (cooked) the salmon in a fairly small dice for about 2 hours then drained and added a bit of fresh lime back in.
Smoked Salmon: Based off of a recipe I have done many times but liked the idea of crispy raw fennel underneath and adding a bit of zest, with lime juice, fennel fronds and chives, to the cream cheese.
Pan-seared salmon: The Westin Westminster used to have a King Salmon dish served with pesto gnocchi (I think) and a yellow tomato salad. Using these flavors I decided to add pesto to whipped potatoes and serve the yellow salad on the side due to the size of plate I picked. When doing my whipped potatoes I always thinly slice the potato and then steam/boil in vegetable and chicken stock for extra flavor. You can use a lot less butter and cream doing this.
No comments:
Post a Comment