Monday, September 7, 2009

Retro! - Blackened Halibut and Andouille Sausage Cornbread Stuffing

Had extra halibut to use up from a previous meal and also had some spicy cajun sausage from the farmers market so that is where this pairing came from.

I have a spice mix called Bonedust from the Sticks and Stones cookbook I used for the blackening seasoning. I just melt butter on a plate, dredge the fish in butter and then in the spice and add it to the smoking cast iron pan. I really need to do this outdoors or get a proper fan hood though!

To add a little coolness to the spice of the blackened fish I seed then dice some tomatoes (i think I actually smashed the dice tomatoes with a pestle as well) then add dill, lime juice and some chili sauce to make a tomato salsa.

The stuffing recipe is derived from a Paul Prudhomme recipe that my dad did with his Turducken at Xmas last year. I modify a little bit to use fresh baked cornbread rather than dry bread crumbs. The interesting thing I have learned from Prudhomme's recipes is that he always uses the concept of layering the vegetables. This means that you may split the veggies up into 2 or 3 and add them at different times so you have 2 or 3 different levels of cookedness and flavors.

Wines served were a Veramonte Sauvignon Blanc from Chile and an Alfredo Roca Pinot Noir from Mendoza Argentina.

No comments:

Post a Comment