Sunday, November 8, 2009

November 8, 2009 - Oysters of a Chicken

Oysters of a chicken...hmmm. I saw Morimoto on Iron Chef carve these out of a pheasant and was intrigued. Apparently this is suppose to be the most tender piece of meat on the chicken. I had a whole chicken that I was quartering and deboning to use for stock and meals this week and I decided it would be worth while looking into this. The oyster sits in the scallop of the "hip" of the chicken where the thigh bone connects in. Go to this link for an explanation of it: http://yeschefnochef.blogspot.com/2008/03/oysters-on-chicken.html

I think this is something that is much easier comprehended with demonstration but I did fine based on the description above. I quick marinated the two "oysters" with sesame oil, soy sauce, black vinegar and cognac and pan seared them quickly. In hindsight it would have made more sense to do a morsel from a number of different parts of the chicken to compare since, although it tasted great, I can not necessarily confirm whether or not this is the best part of the chicken.

Moral of the story though is that this piece of meat has been getting left on almost piece of fowl that I take apart so it is definitely a new discovery.

No comments:

Post a Comment